Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Welcome!

Welcome! This blog is intended primarily for teachers, and more specifically, those teachers who struggle to teach writing in their classroom.

Some of you come here loving to write. Welcome, and please don't hesitate to share your stories and great tips with us! You are the teachers who are always looking for a better way, something to tweak. You have a place here, because you are an expert. We can all learn from you!
Many of you come to this blog, just looking for a way to spice things up in your writing classes. You don't feel like an expert, but you have a good understanding of what you need to teach your students and why. You have much to bring to the table as well, and in return, you may get some amazing ideas to take to your classroom. Welcome!

Others come here in trepidation. You are the teachers who really don't like to write, no, in fact, you HATE to write. Even so, you know you have to teach your students to write well, and you are ready and willing to accept help. Bravo! The first step to becoming an excellent writing teacher, is admitting that you have a problem -- you hate to write! It feels like a dirty secret, doesn't it? Well, there is no shame in that. Please! I hate teaching math. (I still have to, and I’ve tried to find a way to make it less horrible for myself, but that’s another story.)

What I’m doing at this point in my school year is thinking about what I’ve accomplished, what I’d like to do better next year, and what the kids loved best. While I’m spring cleaning, I’m chucking stuff that didn’t work and getting ready for another year. That’s the beauty of teaching. We always get a do over, a chance to do it better the next time around.

Sometimes we’ll talk about philosophy regarding writing, or we’ll discuss some of the movers and shakers in writing instruction, but mostly, we will share ideas that work. We can talk about ways to integrate writing into other areas of the curriculum, as well as ways to make your students LOVE to write.
My one and only guiding principle in teaching children to write is that it should be an enjoyable experience. Beyond state standards and core curriculum, beyond grade level expectations, beyond the quest for a perfectly punctuated piece of prose is my one driving goal – my students must leave me loving the craft of writing.

Stop back tomorrow if you would like to know more about how spring cleaning and painting a kitchen can transform your writing classroom. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment