Thursday, April 12, 2012

More from the paint counter


So it is possible that I have an obsession with the paint store, but it works out well for my teaching life. My son won’t even go through the paint section with me anymore. The last time I headed for paint, he headed to the car.

That’s because the time before that, I wasn’t even shopping for paint when I went there. I just wanted the chips. Teenagers are notoriously paranoid. They think every clerk is watching; every shopper is staring. “Okay, Mom. You have enough. What do you need all those for? Don’t take them all!”

Turns out, there are lots of freebies in the paint section that make great teaching tools. Take those little tiles that are counter top samples. Really, take some. Then hand them to students and give them a challenge: incorporate this texture/color into a fiction writing piece. This will help them add descriptive language to their work.

What else? How about those paint brochures that show beautifully appointed rooms. Some have kitchens, living rooms, while others have foyers, fronts of homes. There are endless, I mean endless pictures.

I cut them apart and separate the rooms into piles. I make a kitchen pile, a living room pile, etc. I do a week of descriptive writing with room cards. I give students each an exterior house. They begin writing by setting the scene for the story. The premise – You are standing on the sidewalk outside the house you have in your hand. Start writing and describe what you see as you walk to the front door. Fourth graders can get an entire page out of this. The next day, they get to open the door and enter. I give them another room.

We keep going for a few days. When we finish, they put the room cards on the document read and project one or more of the pictures as they read their story. They are eager to see what houses and rooms their friends got and the story they wove.

This year one of my talented writers started her story in a very typical way. She was approaching the house because she was going on a babysitting job. But when she rang the bell, she noticed that the house wasn’t really a house inside. The living room on the card depicted an aqua paint scheme with very modern furnishings.

In my student’s story, this room became an underwater realm where the citizens needed her help. When she rang the bell and the door opened, she walked in. She noticed her hair and clothing getting wet. She unraveled an amazing tale of heroism in a fantasy world inspired by the marketing department of a paint company. Amazing!

Tomorrow, we will not talk about paint supplies. Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment