Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Letter writing, Day 2

Yesterday I told you I was going to launch letter writing with my students. I wasn't sure how seriously they would take it. I shouldn't have underestimated them. I began sharing with them what I shared on this blog about letters and how important they can be. 

Then we talked about who we would like to write to. We are writing friendly letters, and we have the following ground rules:

1. Pick someone at school to write to
2. It can't be Mrs. Sentz, or the other teachers in our classroom
3. It CAN be anyone else in our building
4. It should be very heartfelt
5. Topic, your choice - What do you want to say?

Some of my students are writing to another student in the building. For this first round, I'm allowing that until these kids build up their confidence. Round two -- they will have to pick a grown up! 

One student is writing to a teacher in another school because he just came to us in January. I was proud of him for not taking the easy route and writing to a new friend. When we discussed it, I could see from his face that it is important to him to make that connection back to his old school. There is a teacher that he misses; this is his chance to reconnect. Score one for Mrs. Sentz. I love it when a project helps a kid overcome a struggle!

So, today, we will go back to drafting, make sure we have the format/structure correct. We'll finish our thoughts and get ready for final copies. Later in the week, when we get some done, we'll start sending miniature postal people out to start delivering our letters.

Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment