Thursday, April 12, 2012

Inspiration, Tools, Tricks


Inspiration, Tools, Tricks

When you teach writing, you are always on the prowl for the next cool gizmo or gadget to delight young writers and make their pencils fly. Even better if that tool is FREE. Who doesn’t love free?

I am one of those weirdos who can’t pass a rest area without grabbing a stack of maps, brochures, or flyers for tourist attractions because I might “need them someday.” My family has become more accepting of my quirky, pack rat-ish behavior. My kids just pretend they are with someone else, but my husband has come to the place of true acceptance. He even indulges me in my squirreling away tendencies. Now that is LOVE.

So….one day, I was in a local hardware store perusing the paint section when my eye fell on one of the greatest freebies I have ever come to know. Paint chips!!! I had no need of paint, and I had no reason to start grabbing chips. I walked down the aisle, and there amidst the sea of blues, reds, greens and yellows, was the ultimate teacher treasure. I almost can’t believe it to this very day, my good fortune was such. Some innovative paint company struck a deal with Crayola and made vibrant paint intended for children’s rooms. Then they took it over the top and put the paint colors on chips shaped like the top of crayons. Genius!!!!

I couldn’t help myself. They were so stinking cute, I grabbed a few, random colors that appealed to me. Knowing full well my own children were beyond the age these were being marketed to, I felt like I was stealing, but I didn’t care. I was like a moth to the flame. I couldn’t go home without a small stack in my hand.

When I got home, I showed my husband sheepishly. “Look what I found?” He has learned to mirror whatever pleased look I have on my face. Whether he is as amazed by whatever new freebie comes my way, he knows better than to not share my enthusiasm. “Oh, wow. Now what did you get those for?”

“Writing, of course.” How could he not see the possibilities bundled in my outstretched hand? I often have to remember that he is not in the field, so he might not immediately get it. “Oh, for writing…. Well, good, Honey.” I could see he wasn’t seeing the big picture.

Paint chips are an amazing tool when you want to teach a lesson on revising, adding “color” words. Did you ever notice the names printed on the chips? Cerulean blue, Forest Moss, Puffy Cloud, Strawberry Shake, and the list goes on and on.

Armed with my paint chips, I’ve done whole lessons on putting color into a piece of writing. Paint chips are just plain fun for student writers. Sometimes I pass out chips randomly to students and ask them to incorporate that color into their writing.

The possibilities are endless. What would you do with  stack of pain chips?


No comments:

Post a Comment